By Maggie Dunning

Whether you are a feminist or a humanist you are sure to be able to connect with the scenes in ‘Parallel Lives.’

The play will be shown in the Helen Gram little theater from April 11 through the 13. The show will start at 7:30 p.m.  That is on the lower level of Christy Hall at the east end off of that main hall way.

The play is about the challenges women in the world face today. The creators Mo Gaffney and Kathy Najimy created a number of very short plays and put them together to illustrate what women face as women.

Allyson Moon, associate professor of theater and speech, said, “It is a humorous look at life as a woman through the enactment of five actresses who play both men and women in the show.”

The play includes over 40 characters. It is an all-female cast consisting of five actresses playing a number of characters. The actresses are Cooper Heart, Lisa Prater, Emily Tilton, Juliette Lowrance and Danielle Morford.

Lisa Prater, technical field and performing theater junior, said, “I really love the idea of getting to play multiple characters in one script.  First of all because it’s so challenging, and I have never gotten to do it before but, I also love that it’s an empowering scrip for women.”

Danielle Morford, marine biology senior, said, “This show is really good at all different sorts of situations and issues that we deal with as women and just with everyday life. They kind of throw them in there in an unexpected manner.”

All of the actresses had favorite scenes but there was a particular one that stuck out in the mind of Prater.

“When I play a prostitute, that’s probably my favorite to be honest, because it is so ridiculous,” said Prater.

Morford said that she wants the audience members to laugh, and laugh, and laugh, when they see the show. She also hopes that they walk away with some valuable insight.

“Have a better perspective of women, honestly in general, I think it might help them.”

Prater said, “I really hope that people just gain a respect for everything that women have to go through and everything that men have to go through dealing with women.  It’s not just the problems that women have to deal with. It’s the problems that everybody has to deal with.”

Maggie Dunning is a communication freshman. You may e-mail her for more information atmargaret.dunning@sckans.edu.