Morgan Graves, biology junior poses as she helps set up for the Isle of Lights in Island Park. She worked together with the track and cross country team. (Mallory Graves/Staff photographer)Members of the women's soccer team participated in the Isle of Lights set up. They spent their time volunteering to help out the Winfield community. (Mallory Graves/Staff photographer)The softball team worked hard to put up the big jack in the box light. They also put up the mini display of blocks, drums and angels and the stocking light structures. (Mallory Graves/Staff photographer)Anna-Lise Kirton, biology freshman, Terri Jeffery, education freshman and Adrien Jones, sports management senior are members of the track and cross country teams. They built the Arch of Doves. (Mallory Graves/Staff photographer)Many SC students spent hours of their free time working to make the Isle of Lights possible for the city of Winfield. This event will be open nightly from November 22 through December 30. (Mallory Graves/Staff photographer)

By Emily Braudaway

On Nov. 15, Island Park became fully decorated in time for Christmas for Isle of Lights.

Isle of Lights is a Christmas light display that is fully put on by volunteers since 1993 and it comes from donations from people seeing the lights.

Instead of hosting a freshman work day, the first-year leadership team organized the setting up the lights for Isle of Lights.

Cierra Harrison, math education freshman, said “we were supposed to do a freshman work day where almost the entire school, mostly freshmen, go around and help the community. But with COVID, we had to change it up and we did Isle of Lights.”

Last year, Isle of the Lights did get some help from Builders, but not the whole campus.

Brae Wood, director of leadership, said “typically Isle of Lights is at Southwestern and makes a Sunday workday so that any teams who want to participate can. And so we did it in that capacity and more individual teams. But it wasn’t the all-school project.”

There were over 400 students and staff helping set up Christmas light displays over Island Park. 80% of the displays got set up by the students on Sunday.

It is nice for Builders to give back to the community in anyway they can. This collection of displays is considered to being one of the best in the nation.

Some examples of displays are helicopter, the American flag, snow globe, elf feeding deer, and the castle.

The displays start on Nov. 22 and continue on until Dec. 30. Southwestern students can get a look at the displays on Nov. 21 from 7-8 p.m.