Derrek Carter, biology and biochemistry freshman, Tanner McNinch, biology senior, and Amber Nubine, nursing junior, play Black Jack with dealer Cheryl Rude, professor of leadership studies.  Carter won best dressed male, while Tendai Kwarama, biology sophomore won best dressed female in a 1920s theme.  Photo by Korie Hawkins / Collegian Photographer

Derrek Carter, biology and biochemistry freshman, Tanner McNinch, biology senior, and Amber Nubine, nursing junior, play Black Jack with dealer Cheryl Rude, professor of leadership studies. Carter won best dressed male, while Tendai Kwarama, biology sophomore won best dressed female in a 1920s theme. Photo by Korie Hawkins / Collegian Photographer

By Korie Hawkins

It wasn’t Vegas, but the atmosphere was set for a night of fun and gambling.

Students lined up outside the cafeteria on Feb. 10, as Campus life finished setting up the second annual Casino Night.

Zack Conroy, biology senior, executive for student foundation said, “We’re super excited to have everyone come out tonight, and just have a good time. It’s the student’s activity fee that makes events like this possible, so we hope all the students enjoy the food and games.”

Students had a variety of games to choose from including blackjack, roulette, craps and slots. Students received cards, and had the opportunity to exchange the card for chips for the amount of money on the card. At the end of the night they would trade the chips in for a number of raffle tickets, and if their ticket was pulled they would receive a prize.

Prizes consisted of two iPod shuffles, three DVDs, a board game, blender, vacuum, coffee pot, iPod stand, digital camera, headphones and gift certificates.

There was also food, root beer floats and chocolate covered fruit provided by The Grinderman, a sub shop located in Arkansas City.

Dorothy Pleas, director of campus life, said, “I believe this is the second time STUFU has hosted Casino Night. We asked Celebrations a company from Wichita to come in and help us with the set up.”

Many faculty members participated in the event. Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, was dealer for roulette, Cherly Rude, professor of leadership studies, dealt for blackjack, and Ashlee Alley, campus minister, watched over the slots.

This year had a 1920’s theme.

Derreck Carter, biology freshman, and Tendai Kwaramba, biology freshman, won the best dressed for the occasion. They both received gift certificates.

Many freshmen were new to the event. Nathia Wilson, athletic training freshman, said, “I’ve never gambled before. I spent majority of my time playing the slots, and roulette. By the end of the night when it came time to cash my chips in, I ended up walking away with a brand new digital camera.”

This was also a first for freshmen who devote their time to STUFU events. Misty Teague, business management freshman, said, “I help with setting up, so I can become a member of STUFU.”

Students and faculty both felt as though Casino Night brought a relaxing atmosphere full of fun and entertainment.