By Hannah Watkins

“This year has been the perfect storm of new things,” said Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life, “It’s making life interesting, but hard.”

With a new stadium, a new jinx, and a large freshman class, 2010 is going to be a year with fresh opportunities.

While this is a large freshman class, there were more students in the freshman class in 1975, 1981, and 2003. “It’s not a big concern to have so many people in a class, because next year we will probably have less freshmen. The classes tend to go in waves,” said Hallinan.

Marla Sexson, director of admission, said, “There are 172 freshmen in this class, 71 females and 101 males.” The size of the freshman class has affected housing and classrooms in a variety of ways.

In both Cole and Wallingford halls, the rooms are almost entirely occupied. In Cole, only two women are without roommates, and there is no longer a guest room. In Wallingford, the top floor is normally upperclassmen housing, but this year, was given to freshmen this year to accommodate the large class.

“Since we had a big class graduate last year, we replaced a lot of people with a big recruitment class this year,” said Hallinan, “I don’t expect next year’s freshman class to be nearly as big.”
The size of this class also affects classes and professors said Michelle Boucher, Professor of English, and director of general education. She noticed a significant difference between last year’s general classes and this year’s.

“I haven’t noticed any larger classes, I’ve just noticed the class choices seem to be limited,” said Boucher, “Many students won’t notice larger class sizes. It just might be more difficult to get into the classes you want.”

While welcoming so many new freshmen is exciting for the college, it is also a concern for many people who work on campus. “It has been a growing pain,” said Boucher.

Hannah Watkins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at hannah.watkins@sckans.edu.