By Kylie Stamper

Many stations allowed participants to focus on God during their time of prayer. (Kylie Stamper/Collegian photographer)

Many stations allowed participants to focus on God during their time of prayer. (Kylie Stamper/Collegian photographer).

48 Hours of Prayer is held at churches across the country every year, sometimes even more than once a year. Southwestern held its very own 48 Hours of Prayer event that started at 6 p.m. Friday and ended at 7 p.m. Sunday. There was at least one person in Wroten Hall every hour (yes, even at 3:00 in the morning) to hold down the fort. 

Wroten was set up with different stations that students could go to and experience God in different ways. Among the stations were an arts and crafts table, a doodle pad, play-doh and sand, prayer beads, a giant Peace sign, a cross, prayer wall, communion table, journal table, prayer corner, and a world map. Music was playing for each of the 48 hours and, no matter what time, students were welcome in to the building to worship and pray as they please.

“I think that it gives students a chance to slow down, to see the ways that other people on campus are seeking God,” said Ashlee Alley, director of campus ministry. Although the event didn’t see large numbers in attendance, it saw enough to benefit at least one person.

“I think it brings people together for a common purpose. The people who participated specifically spent time praying for the world, the campus, themselves, and other people,” said Caitlin Harris, biology junior.

“I think that prayer works. When we are able to open our hearts up to God, we find our own priorities being reordered and God shows us our next steps,” said Alley. Students had the opportunity to just go and do what they wanted. If they needed to vent, to renew, or to just think, Wroten was open along with the hearts of everybody involved.

The purpose of 48 Hours of Prayer is to give students a breather. When the 48 Hours of Prayer is not going on, there is a prayer room on campus. It is located in the library and is open during library hours.

But for the special times when a 48 Hours of Prayer event is scheduled be sure to stop by, even if it is 3:00 a.m., because somebody will always be there.

Amanda Will, biology junior, started her 48 Hours of Prayer experience her freshman year. This year, she was one of the students signed up to help with the event.

“It’s a great experience, I try to do it every year and this year I’m doing it for four hours. It’s a good time,” said Will.

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu.