By Kylie Stamper

It started Friday after lunch and ended with a hunger banquet on Saturday evening. Members of Discipleship participated in a 30-hour hunger famine last weekend. Those who participated went without food for 30 hours to acknowledge other countries where food is not a luxury.

The hunger banquet, held at Grace United Methodist Church, officially ended the famine. Caitlin Harris, biology junior, said, “We just broke our 30-hour fast with a hunger banquet. Basically individuals came and they got a card that had the name of a country and that country’s average income per day and we had a variety of different food ranging in price from 25 cents to $8 and they got to see what they could buy.”

Some had a figurative allowance of more than $60 while others got less than 16 cents. Amanda Will, biology junior, said, “I happened to be the one to get the most, which was $63 and some change, while people around me only had maybe 50 cents or a dollar. When it came time to getting the food, I had three plates and I look around and everybody has one plate with one thing on it.”

The food ranged from rice and beans to cheesecake and grilled chicken. Plates were free, but silverware had a price of 50 cents. Most people ended up eating with their fingers.

“It was a really good opportunity just to experience and reflect on how the world lives and it’s a good way just to connect with God,” said Harris.

Carlene Dick, psychology freshman, said, “I think that it was an eye-opening experience. I’ve never done anything like this. I know that it was new for a lot of people here. What I really liked about it was I got to do it with some of my closest friends and I got to grow closer to people I did this with. It’s just going to be a really good memory and something cool to tell people about.”

Those who received more money shared the food they bought with others who could not afford even a spoonful of rice at 25 cents. Sarah Louy, religion & philosophy freshman, said, “Other people offered their food which was really sweet and we shared and it was really nice. It was a really good experience, honestly. I liked it because I’ve never done anything like it and it was really eye-opening to see what other people’s lives are like. I could never do what they did.”

Will said, “I really enjoyed it. I wish more people could see this and see what actually happens. It was just very eye-opening.”

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu.