By Taylor Finke

Like most people, I think that re-releases are a way for companies to rake in money without actually creating anything new. However, when the movie is a huge part of your childhood and you’ve only ever seen it through the haze of a video cassette, seeing it on the big screen can bring you right back to that age when you first saw it. As a 90s baby and former dinosaur fanatic (due to this movie), I felt the need to relive my childhood by watching ‘Jurassic Park’ in 3-D this past weekend.

For those of you who somehow missed out on the 90s, ‘Jurassic Park’ is considered one of the defining movies of the decade. Released in 1993, the Steven Spielberg film introduced the first photorealistic CGI animals to moviemaking. The movie went on to receive 3 Oscars in 1994 as well as various other awards over the years. And now, nearly twenty years later (which makes me feel seriously old), the blockbuster is back on the silver screen, and this time around prehistoric chaos ensues in 3-D.

This classic action-thriller takes place on an tropical island where the wealthy John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) has created a theme park containing living, genetically engineered dinosaurs, which his scientists resurrected by using DNA found in amberized mosquitoes. In order to prove to his legal team that the park is safe, Hammond invites a group of experts to tour the island. This includes paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant (SamNeill), paleobotanist Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern), lawyer Donald Gennaro (Martin Ferrero), and the hipster-like chaostician Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum). Also along for the ride are Hammond’s grandchildren, Tim and Lex.

Their tour starts out well enough, with a few incredibly animated (even by today’s standards) dinosaurs making appearances, however Malcolm predicts that disaster will ensue. No one really listens to him until a series of unfortunate events including the landfall of a tropical storm and sabotage leaves the group stranded in the middle of the park without power- and surrounded by deadly predators the likes of which humans have never dealt with.

Overall, the movie has been nicely converted into three dimensions and digitally prettied up a bit. Thankfully, the computer animations have not been re-done, and no obnoxious changes ala Greedo shooting first have been made. It is simply the movie everyone remembers, just crisper and coming off the screen. To all the kids of the 90s, even if this is your 65 millionth time watching ‘Jurassic Park’ I would absolutely recommend seeing on the big screen.

Taylor Finke is a freshman. You may email her at taylor.finke@sckans.edu.