By Sam Jones

If you’ve been hunting for some new music that’ll put a smile on your face, make you want to dance, or give you the urge to sing at the top of your lungs, then you’re in luck.

Taylor Swift has just released her fifth studio album, “1989”.

The record is full of catchy pop beats and lyrics that will go round in your head all day.

This record embodies Swift’s maturation as a woman who – now 24 – is a far stronger person than the young 16 year-old who released her first studio album, a self-titled country record.

This year Swift moved from her hometown, Nashville TN to an apartment in New York City. Her past four albums have been a fusion of both acoustic guitars and banjos, and catchy pop lyric riffs. In “1989”, Swift has made a clear distinction in choosing between the genres, as she ditches the banjo for the synth beats of pop.

Swift’s evolution has seemed to be inevitable, as the world watched her dominate the country music genre. There always seemed to be a glass ceiling however, as she had reached the top of the genre, yet she hadn’t quite reached the heights of the Katy Perrys or the Beyoncés of the pop world.

As she outgrew country, she outgrew the comparably small city of Nashville and traded it for New York City; a city more than 10 times the size. This album has not one hint of country music and is filled with bubbly pop tunes that represent the shedding of her childhood and her evolution into a woman.

As the album is a coming of age in terms of her music, she has fittingly named it after her birth year, 1989.

The record opens with “Welcome to New York”, which runs the line: “Welcome to New York, it’s been waiting for you,” which only solidifies Swift’s adoration for her new home.

“It’s a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat forevermore. The lights are so bright but they never blind me.” Swift revels in the opportunity that the change in landscape provides and screams it out with joy in this track.

Other notable highlights on the record are “Blank Space” and “Shake It Off”. The first of which is a song written as if an open diary entry, reflecting on previous failed relationships, but remaining optimistic for the future. “I’ve got a blank space baby,” is Swift acknowledging her singleness, but also revelaing her desire to fill it.

“Shake It Off” is heavily directed by her critics. “Because the players are going to play, the haters are going to hate, I’m just going to shake shake shake shake. Shake it off!” Swift has written songs on previous albums from a dark place as a result of a harsh critic. In going with the overall positive direction of the album, this track shows Swift’s strength to pick herself back up and shake off all of the negativity and concentrate on doing her own thing.

The rest of the album is filled with upbeat rhythms and catchy lyrics, all the while maintaining a positive outlook to enjoy youth and to have fun all the time.

I really enjoyed the whole album and would rate it 4.5 out of 5

Sam Jones is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at samuel.jones@sckans.edu