By Drake Vittitow

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

This is a love letter to the legends and the tropes of the horror genre and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don’t watch this movie at least once. How many horror references can you find?

“The Cabin in the Woods” is available on Hulu.

The Invisible Man (2020)

Far and away the best reiteration of the classic movie of the same name, “The Invisible Man” is expertly retold in a modern fashion. Don’t forget to look over your shoulder from time to time.

“The Invisible Man” is available on HBO Max.

Hush (2016)

The dark horse of the list, “Hush” explores the idea of a deaf woman who has her house invaded by a masked killer. Simple and effective, this flick will have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

“Hush” is available on Netflix.

Ready or Not (2019)

Another movie that went under the radar, “Ready or Not” tells the story of a soon-to-be-wife that has to play a game with the family of her husband to make the marriage official. Simple enough… right?

“Ready or Not” is available on HBO Max.

Us (2019)

Jordan Peele’s second directorial effort, “Us” is just nuts. After watching this terrifying thriller, you will want to avoid scissors and red jumpsuits for a while.

“Us” is available on HBO Max.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

The best Halloween musical out there (sorry “The Nightmare Before Christmas), “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is filled with freaks and fun. This one is strictly for laughs and dancing along to the “Time Warp.”

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is available on Hulu.

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Rob Zombie’s directorial debut, “House of 1000 Corpses” is Zombie’s twisted interpretation of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” mixed with the occult. Hillbillies terrify me to this day because of this movie.

“House of 1000 Corpses” is available on Hulu and Netflix.

Lords of Chaos (2018)

Not for the squeamish or weak of heart, “Lords of Chaos” explores the origins of the sub-genre of metal known as Norwegian Black Metal. Don’t watch this on an empty stomach.

“Lords of Chaos” is available on Hulu.

Unfriended (2014)

Unique in its approach of storytelling, “Unfriended” is told in its entirety through the lends of a laptop camera. Sometimes technology isn’t always the answer, folks.

“Unfriended” is available on Netflix.

Hereditary (2019)

Easily one of the best horror films of the past couple of years, “Hereditary” tells a story about a crumbling family trying to overcome a tragedy. More than just a horror movie, the flick drives home some important issues about depression and overcoming grief. A must watch.

“Hereditary” is available on Amazon Prime Video.